Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Volume 8, Number 4: No, This Is NOT a Fish Tale

A funny thing happened this morning.

Paul Lukas published the results of last month's Redesign The Dolphins contest.  But no, that wasn't the funny thing.

He opened with two paragraphs about how he didn't find any entries that had anything like an infinite regression*--which, in this case, is putting a logo on the helmet on the dolphin in the logo (rather than an "M" like in all the helmet logos the Dolphins have been using since their inception).

Thing is, I did do that, as I explained in my entry last month.  Maybe it was because the logo on the helmet in my submission was kind of small and hard to tell that it was a smaller version of the same logo, and not some messed-up-looking "M".  In any case, supposing that I had made the logo too small, then gosh, I missed out on the "Best Infinite Regression" award.  I brought the oversight to Paul's attention, and he both apologized for it and said he would mention my entry in his column next week.  I'll keep you posted on that.

Anyway, I went and made a much larger version of my Dolphins logo today.  When you click on it to enlarge it, you should see that it has a logo on the helmet on the dolphin on the logo on the helmet of the dolphin (that's going one step further than in my February 22 submission).


* As an aside: My introduction to infinite regression came when I was very young--6 or 7 years old at the time.  I was reading through my older brother's copy of Dynamite magazine--remember that, late '70s/early '80s kids?--and there was this comic strip depicting TV star Farrah Fawcett holding a copy of Dynamite with her on the cover, which featured her holding a copy of Dynamite with her on the cover, which featured her holding a copy of Dynamite with her on the cover, which featured her holding... you got the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment