Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Volume 2, Number 29: Just Cook This!

(Note: I originally posted this entry on September 7, 2007 to my Yahoo! GeoCities blog.)

Last night, I came across a new series on the Discovery Health Channel that has some promise: Just Cook This, a cooking show aimed at guys that don't have the time or energy to cook (like me) and usually end up buying roody poo fast food (well, I don't do that, but I am guilty of cooking lots of frozen, canned and boxed foods).

The first recipe, the chimichito, was a great idea, just for being simple and clever at the same time (take a store-bought rotisserie chicken, shred it up, mix in some salsa, wrap it in a tortilla, coat the chimichito with oil and bake it to make it crispy). I do plan to try that sometime.

But the other recipes he did were illustrations of why I end up resorting to the frozen meals and the Hamburger Helper in the first place: Too many ingredients that I NEVER use. Curry powder? Coconut milk? Capers?

(I wonder if the show was brought to me by the letter C. Son of a gun, C is also for chicken, crispy and chimichito...)

Bottom line, if I don't have the time or energy to cook, I sure won't have the time or energy to go down one aisle after another at the supermarket looking for hard-to-find items that, for all I know, I may only use in the one recipe, then end up not using for a long time (if ever). Not to mention that I'd rather put that money towards more practical things. Like that long-overdue tune-up for my car, which I will do tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment