Thursday, January 7, 2010

Volume 4, Number 2: Even More Miscellaneous Mumbo-Jumbo

(Note: I posted this to my Yahoo! GeoCities blog on January 28, 2009.)

I have a bunch of ideas, musing and other stuff swimming around in my head. They include (but are not limited to):
  • The first time I heard of rock artist Eagle Eye Cherry (he did this song 10 years ago, Save Tonight), I thought, what a crazy name for an artist--pick a name of a bird, then a name of a body part, then a name of a fruit, and presto! Instant rock band name, Mad Libs-style. Like Vulture Spleen Kumquat. It wasn't until later that I found out Eagle Eye Cherry was actually the brother of Neneh Cherry (she had a song in the Top 40 back in '89, Buffalo Stance).
  • I hate it anytime a sports journalist refers to the NFL's Miami Dolphins as "the Fish." Dolphins aren't fish, they're mammals. Look it up!
  • Did you know the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof? Neither did I, before I read this. (Evidently, I've never had a car with a sunroof. Never mind that the word "sunroof" makes a lot more sense than "moonroof.")
  • I always spelled it M-U-A-M-M-A-R K-H-A-D-A-F-Y.
  • Here's a channel I'd love to see on cable--The Traffic Channel: Constant updates on local traffic conditions, coverage of major traffic jams and police chases, and shows about classic police chases and all-time great traffic jams, and to balance things out, also shows about how motorists can drive smarter and more safely.
  • You know how the band, Gorillaz, does animated music videos? It got me thinking--Milli Vanilli would have been a lot more successful if their music videos had been cartoons (instead of using those lip-synching model/dancers, Rob and Fab).
  • Rene Auberjonois would make a great spokesman for SmithBarney. Watching him on Boston Legal one night, I couldn't help but imagine him delivering the line, "At SmithBarney, they make money the old-fashioned way... They earn it."
  • Benecol... It's this substitute for butter and margarine, but anyway, I would never buy a food item whose name sounds more like a medication. "Yeah, I'm just going to put some Cepacol on my toast."

No comments:

Post a Comment