Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Volume 2, Number 9: The Tree That Tried to Walk

(Note: This is a re-posting of an entry I made in February 2007 on a Yahoo! GeoCities blog.)

I haven't had anything new happen lately, so I'll just tell you about one of the most surreal, stunning things I've ever seen. Better yet, the photo above will show you a lot more effectively than my words ever could.

It happened on March 15, 2004. I was going to run a couple errands, and just as I shut the front door, I heard this loud cracking noise. I turned to see what I thought was a limb from my own tree falling and crushing the roof of my neighbor's van, which was parked across the street. Of course, for a minute there, I thought I was about to be in hot water and/or stuck at home settling insurance matters with the neighbors.

So I walked across the street to take a look at the damage to the van, and that's when I found out my tree was never involved at all... It was the tree across the street, looked as though it had wanted to go for a walk, and found out a second too late that it couldn't walk at all. The whole tree fell--there was no stump where it had been. And to think, had I left the house just seconds earlier, the tree might have fallen on me (supposing, just for the moment, that I had been backing out of the driveway when the tree fell).

Needless to say, the street was blocked for a few hours until the city's Department of Parks and Forestry could cut up the tree and haul the pieces away. The neighbors across the street planted another tree--a maple one, I believe--but it'll be years before it gets to be the same size as the one that it replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment