Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Volume 3, Number 2: Separated At Birth?

(Note: I originally posted this in January 2008 on my Yahoo! GeoCities blog.)

A few years ago, ESPN.com started doing a celebrity lookalike feature on its Page 2 web page, called "Here's Looking At You." They would show pairs of photographs showing two people--generally a sports figure and a non-sports celebrity--that look so darn close to looking alike (for example, baseball pitcher Greg Maddux and actor Matthew Broderick). I also remember that Mitch Albom did that in some of his earlier (1980s) columns, called "Separated at Birth?"

I kept asking ESPN.com to show some of my ideas for look-a-likes, but they apparently never could be bothered. Maybe it's because a few of my pairings weren't close enough for their tastes (e.g. ex-Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz and CSI star William Petersen, or Lions head coach Rod Marinelli and Paul McCrane of ER and 24, or ex-Lions head coach Steve Mariucci and Shane McMahon from World Wrestling Entertainment). Anyway, I'll just put two of mine here.

Seriously, back in the '80s, when you saw "It's Garry Shandling's Show," didn't you ever wonder what the heck Mario Andretti was doing, sitting behind a desk instead of a steering wheel?

I always thought Ian Ziering was utterly unqualified to play the head coach of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Wait, you mean it wasn't a movie? The guy on the left is Bob Davie, now an ESPN College Football analyst. Mr. Ziering (from Beverly Hills 90210; he also appeared on Dancing With The Stars) is on the right.

I'd add Cleveland Cavaliers forward Anderson Varejao and WWE superstar Carlito, but a search of the Web reveals that a number of people have brought that one up already.

No comments:

Post a Comment