Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Volume 2, Number 38: Bighead Bonds Busted

(Note: I originally posted this to my Yahoo! GeoCities blog on November 15, 2007.)

As I mentioned in Volume 2, Number 24: Bonds, Benson, Blah, I was ticked off that Barry Bonds was still playing baseball in light of what the book, Game of Shadows, revealed. On March 18, 2006, I wrote an open letter to Bonds asking him to leave the game at that time (you can see it here, and it is also included in the Volume 2, Number 24 blog entry).

Just a few hours ago, Bonds was indicted on perjury and obstruction charges (4 counts of the former, 1 count of the latter). I don't know whether to be shocked that it didn't happen a lot sooner, or glad that it at least happened at all. I thought Book of Shadows would mark the death knell of the "steroids era" in baseball the way that Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein helped bring down Richard Nixon, but that hasn't happened (hey, can someone please test Carlos Pena next time he hits a homer?). If--no, excuse me, when--Bonds is found guilty, well, there's your proof that the S.O.B. should have taken my advice and walked away from the game. Instead, his last two seasons have been a sham, especially when he broke--no, excuse me, stole--Henry Aaron's all-time record for home runs in baseball.

That said, I'm happy that Bonds never played for Smackdown Unlimited.

No comments:

Post a Comment