Thursday, January 7, 2010

Volume 4, Number 7: New Beginnings

(Note: I originally posted this entry on my Yahoo! blog on June 1, 2009.)

June 1 is not just the beginning of a new month. It also marks a new beginning for GM (which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy this morning) and a new place for this blog (which is still on Yahoo!, but it's now on profiles.yahoo.com--which lets me edit blog entries without said entries disappearing when I click "Post Entry" the way Yahoo! 360 had been doing).

Let's see, maybe I should review what's been going on:

News: Detroit's got a new mayor in Dave Bing (never mind that he's only serving out the remainder of Kwame Kilpatrick's term, because Detroit's City Charter forced the city to spend $3 million to hold a desperately unneeded election; it would have been better to just let Ken Cockrell Jr. serve out the remainder of the term).

Sports: The Detroit Lions shelled out $41.7 million in guaranteed money to Matt Stafford to kick off the NFL Draft, but then when they have the chance to protect that investment with offensive tackle Michael Oher (who was available when the 20th pick came up), they pass him up?! Don't get me wrong, Brandon Pettigrew is a very good value, but this year's draft was far deeper at tight end than at tackle (for example, the Lions could have taken Shawn Nelson from Southern Miss in Round 3). They also passed up LBs Rey Maualuga and James Laurinatis in Round 2. On a happier note, the Red Wings are back in the Stanley Cup Finals (and in fact, are up 2 games to none in their rematch against the Pittsburgh Penguins).

Fantasy sports: In baseball, my Smackdown Unlimited is having a terrible season due to bad pitching. In football, my Detroit Vipers--defending TUFF Bowl Champions--had their draft last month. Keep in mind, this league only uses offensive players--quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers, tight ends and kickers. I took TE Brandon Pettigrew, RB Mike Goodson, WR Ramses Barden, RB Frank "The Tank" Summers and QB Rhett Bomar. You can read about them and the other 59 players taken in the draft here.

Entertainment: I'm looking forward to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (which opens July 15, the day after my birthday; never mind that I still would have preferred it to have come out last November). Also next month, the sixth season of Hell's Kitchen begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment