Thursday, January 7, 2010

Volume 3, Number 21: I Got Published (Well, Sort Of)

(Note: I originally posted this entry on July 9, 2008 on my Yahoo! GeoCities blog.)

I know, it's been more than a year since the Chris Benoit double murder-suicide, but here I go with another Benoit-related blog entry.

It turns out after I wrote my most recent Benoit-related blog entry, Irv Muchnick put an entry in his blog the very next day in which he commended me for "intelligent backup of my report proving the dishonesty of WWE’s Benoit tribute show." (On May 22, I had summarized what Muchnick said in his April 3 blog entry that WWE knew the Benoit deaths were the result of a murder-suicide well before the tribute show went on the air; I also argued that even before the facts came forth, there was already a very good chance that Benoit was the perpetrator, citing one study that said that most mass murders are familicides, and another stating that 95% of murder-suicides were perpetrated by men.)

I didn't know about it until today because I hadn't been reading Muchnick's blog on a regular basis. Today marked the first time in over a month that I had done so. The main reason I read it to begin with is that he's been working on a book about the Benoit murder-suicide. It was originally scheduled to come out earlier this year; however, Muchnick keeps digging up new information related to the Dr. Phil Astin probe, the Fayette County (Ga.) sheriff's investigation, and so on, leading me to wonder if the book will cover more than just the "perfect storm of physical, mental and emotional pain" that led to the horrible events of that June weekend.

It is an honor for a journalist of Muchnick's background to mention a blog entry of mine in his blog. It's kind of like getting a letter published in a magazine like Newsweek or Sports Illustrated. Muchnick is one of the foremost journalists (along with Dave Meltzer) in the sports-entertainment trade, and was praised by Sports Illustrated writer Frank Deford for his knowledge of that trade. He is also the author of Wrestling Babylon: Piledriving Tales of Drugs, Sex, Death and Scandal, a book he published in April 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment